Health Personal Health

The Symptoms of Dry Eyes

Tears are made up of an amalgam of water, mucus and fatty oils. This mixture is necessary for the eye to function properly and for the eyes to remain clear, smooth and free from infection. Dry eyes are caused by insufficient tears. If the eyes are not kept comfortably lubricated, this can lead to dry eyes. Dry eyes syndrome is also known as KCS or keratoconjunctivitis sicca. This is a common disorder that affects a large percentage of the population but is easy to treat with artificial tears, eye exercises and a healthy eating plan. There are several things to be aware of when considering whether you have dry eyes.

Dry Eyes Symptoms

Symptoms
A person may experience burning, itching, redness or a gritty feeling in the eye area. They may also experience blurred vision and sensitivity to light. It is also quite common to feel as if there is debris in the eye. You may also experience watery eyes. As the eye becomes dry it may, as a reflex action, initiate a large amount of tear production all at once. Tears will actually pour from the eyes, but this does not help the eye at all. The eyes will become dry again and the excessive tear production process will be repeated.

Environment
Harsh windy or dry conditions can make dry eye symptoms worse. Be aware of your surroundings, and if you are in a climate with low humidity but with a higher temperature, you may find that your dry eye symptoms worsen.

Occupational Hazards
If you have difficulty blinking, inadequate tears may be spread across your eye or the tears may disperse too quickly, causing dry eye syndrome. If you are spending prolonged hours in front of a computer screen or watching too much television or even reading for long periods of time, these activities will cause you to blink less. Long hours spent driving is another factor that can cause dry eyes. Decreased blinking leads to tear evaporation and as a result, this will lead to dry eye syndrome.

Medications
If you are taking medication for hormones, acne, antidepressants, high blood pressure, birth control, beta blockers or antihistamines, these can all cause dry eyes. Speak to your doctor to see if your medication could be causing your dry eye symptoms. Certain medications will cause a decrease in tear production.

Eyelid Infections
Inflammation or infection of the eyelid can lead to dry eye syndrome. Blepharitis, or inflammation, is a common condition that is easily treated.

Dry eye symptoms affect a large percentage of the population. Dry eyes can cause difficulty with work, discomfort and have a detrimental effect on your general health, as well as your ocular health. Dry eye can be annoying but peruse Allergan Dryeye.com.au for information on dry eyes and general eye health. Dry eye usually affects both eyes and can sometimes cause blurring of vision, but this does not usually cause any permanent vision damage. If you wear contact lenses, seek professional advice, as dry eye syndrome may cause irritation to contact lens wearers and you may need special eye drops.

Hits: 222

You may also like...

19 Comments

1. Maria Iemma says:

I just had eye surgery and am now suffering from dry eye, as you say, it is very uncomfortable and it is important not to scratch.

2. Elle Briarson says:

Great post! I get this all the time!

3. Anita L says:

This sounds like what I may have. I had no idea that medications could cause this, but now I realize I should talk to my doctor. This can be very bothersome, as I constantly feel like something is in my one eye and it waters frequently. I’ve been using Visine, but it does not always relieve the problem. Thank you for this very useful information.

4. darlene bohannon says:

i have dry eyes and its very bothersome.im daily using precautions. thanks for the post.

5. Peggy Greco says:

The eyes are so important; thanks for your post.

6. Susan Smith says:

I noticed as I go older my eyes got dryer. It because more difficult to wear contacts. so I go Lasik.

7. Charlene says:

My father has dry eyes so I’m going to pass this blog on to him. Thanks for this information.

8. This is such a helpful post! I seem to be having the symptoms ever since I started menopausing. It gets worse when I’m spending prolonged hours in front of a computer screen.

9. Eva Mitton Urban says:

Great information provided here to aid in the proper treatment of dry eye. I occasionally get dry eye – but seems Visine/Clear Eyes doesn’t solve the affliction – have tried in the past and my eyes have partially swollen shut. Still searching for a remedy……

10. laurie damrose says:

I never really had this issue but thank you for the important info!

11. Mitzi Fisher says:

I have this problem. I use really expensive eye drops but they do work ๐Ÿ™‚

12. I don’t know what it is but I wake up EVERYDAY with red eyes!! I have had this for so many years. UGH!! It drives me crazy!!

13. Peggy Greco says:

This is an excellent post about the eyes;thanks for sharing with us.

14. Sylvia Ortiz says:

Thank you for sharing the cautions of contact lens wearers using Dry Eye drops; as I am sure many (like myself) were not aware of the possible dangers from using the wrong product.

15. Clare says:

i think i have this condition..because i cant stand the light

16. Sandy Cain says:

My brother has terrible problems with dry eyes – he uses artificial tears. I know it’s from all the meds he takes – anti-depressents, beta blockers, Benedryl and more – but I wish I could help him out. I have enough tears for both of us.

17. I suffer from dry eyes and its really hard especially now that the temperatures are really hot. Thanks for your post it really help me learn new information.

18. Renee Smith says:

This was some great and interesting information. Fortunately, I have not has this condition, but it’s good information to have.

19. Kelly Faber says:

I never knew a lot of the facts you mentioned about dry eyes! Learn something new everyday! That is cool how ‘tears are made up of an amalgam of water, mucus and fatty oils’…I always thought it was just water!