Personal development takes an awful lot of time and not something you can achieve overnight. You also need tons of patience because bailing out in the middle of the process is something you will regret later on.
I’m telling you, it’s not that easy and you will encounter a lot of hurdles along the way. Discovering one’s self is a long journey more so if you have a lot of things to change for a better future. But, you need to take on this challenge for your sake and your family’s.
Here are a few things to ponder before you can make that first step to recovery:
- Acknowledge issues and problems – Some of us are hiding behind a curtain and don’t want to go out and face reality. A bad habit indeed and you need to break it. Realizing your problems is one step and acknowledging them is another. You know in your mind that you have big issues but then telling yourself that there’s no big deal is actually non-admittance of their existence. You simply cannot move on if you think and feel like this.
- Take the honesty test – You have to or else you’ll drown yourself in deception. Think about this – you are tricking yourself into believing that your problems will be solved on their own. That’s not good because eventually, your problems will come running back at you. So, to be able to move on to the next step – admit it, be honest to yourself and face it.
- Channel your attention – When you have finally accepted the fact that there are changes to be made and you are willing to make amends, then it’s time to buckle down and attend to them one at a time. But, make sure you have already identified each issue before resolving them otherwise, you’re back to square one.
- Draft a plan and implement them – It’s always nice to list down a plan for each challenge you will tackle. This way, you won’t lose your focus and will be able to deal with the issues with a better grasp. These will be tedious tasks so you need to prepare for the battle.
- Ask for support – Battling a “monster in your closet” is always self-draining and sometimes you will lose your focus. Therefore, before carrying on a task, try and ask your family and friends for any support they can give. You need this and sometimes, you can’t do it all alone. It will be a roller-coaster ride with lots of ups and downs.
All of us have problems at one time or the other. But, what separates us is our courage to deal with issues and on how we solve them. Keep in mind, you are not the only one experiencing this, there are many others out there. Who knows, their problems might be a lot bigger than yours, so think of it as you being luckier or more blessed.
Always be positive, it will help a lot in times when you need it most. Don’t lose hope, for hope is always there for us to grab and hold on. Lastly, when all your worries are gone, give yourself a pat in the back, better yet – a big hug, because you won the battle.
Don’t forget to relax and enjoy the rest of your life. Make sure to do everything now in accordance to what is righteous. Be with your family and bond with them, say play music together and give back to others like buy pedal board for your kid. Smile!