Health Tips and How To's

5 Ways To Encourage Your Kids To Get Active

When you have children, keeping them physically active is a way to set good habits into motion for the rest of their lives. Encouraging your kids to get active and to understand the benefits of physical health can be done by living a healthier lifestyle yourself to making a few changes around your home and the way your entire family lives as a collective.

Be an Active Role Model
In order to truly encourage your kids to get active and to lead healthier lifestyles, it is important to be an active role model yourself. Children often learn their habits, both good and bad from their parents. When you are an active parent who is involved with sports, walking to destinations and participating in physically-challenging activities, you are more likely to have an impact in your child’s own eyes on what it means to be healthy and physically active.

Biking

Purchasing New Sports Equipment
Another way to help with encouraging your children to become more active is to shop for new sporting gear such as kids bicycles, athletic shoes, basketballs, baseballs and other equipment that may be appealing and useful to them. Install volleyball net in your yard or consider investing in a swimming pool to help with encouraging physical activity with your children.

Be Your Own Transportation
One way to show your children that physical exercise is not only necessary but “normal” is to walk, bike or even run to various locations. Showing your kids that they are capable of transporting themselves from one location to the next destination will help to improve their outlook on physical activity and what it means to use their body when trying to achieve a goal.

Educate With Food and Nutrition
One of the most influential methods of teaching your children about being healthy and staying physically active is to introduce them to the proper foods and diet that is right for them. Educating your kids with food and nutrition will help them to stay active and to develop positive eating habits for the rest of their lives. Introducing them to vegetables, fruits, fresh meats, nuts and seeds will help to create a relationship with food that is healthy and not detrimental to their own health and well-being. The more active you are with providing the right foods for your kids, the more likely they are to eat in the same way once they are grown and no longer relying on you for the food they eat.

Encourage Exercise
Whether your child enjoys playing sports, walking or simply jumping on trampolines, encouraging exercise regularly will help to instill positive habits and outlooks on getting physically active and healthy. When you have younger children, consider implementing a “family exercise night” or a “family sport night” to help with encouraging your kids to get active while having fun. Creating a positive atmosphere for physical activity will help to keep your kids looking forward to staying healthy and physically active. You can also discuss enrolling your children into the sport of their choice to not only help them with staying physically active, but also to help them with group activities and improving communication.

Hits: 450

You may also like...

32 Comments

1. Sarah N says:

Thank you for these great suggestions!

2. sam dock says:

Great ideas! I try to get my son to do my prenatal yoga with me-which is actually very entertaining aswell as physical ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Brooke K says:

We are always looking for ideas to keep our kids active. Thank you!

4. Fantastic suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Leslie says:

These are great!

6. Tiffiny Palm says:

Always looking for more ideas to be active with the kids and even just for myself!

7. We’re a pretty active family when its warm outside. But, during the winter we’re little hermits. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Cheryl Rahkonen says:

Thanks for this article. I have been looking for ways to get my grandsons up and about and outside. I worry about them not getting enough Vitamin D which is so essential to good health and strong bones. I have been successful with getting them to dance which is very good exercise.

9. Terri Evans Morgan says:

10. giulia b. says:

This is one of the best articles I have ever read! Thank you! I definitely approve these 5 ways to encourage kids!

11. Yong says:

Thank you for the tips.

12. im 46 people take heed while your young if you dont you will regret neglecting your health 20 years later

13. Stacy Garfinkel says:

These are great suggestions. I really need help with my 11 year old though. He’s 5’5″ and weighs 200 lbs. He sneaks food constantly and eats me out of house and home. I worry about his health and what his future will look like if we can’t get control of this. ๐Ÿ™

14. Alison says:

Great ideas, thanks!

15. Andrew L. says:

Good ideas. We try often to encourage our son to be active and do many things as a family to get him up and moving around and it helps us too!

16. Alyson L says:

Love this post, especially because my hubby and I have been talking about this recently!

17. lauren p says:

Thanks for the ideas. its always a challenge peeling kids away from their elecronic devices

18. Terry says:

These are great ideas!!

19. Tina says:

Thanks for the suggestions. My son does not go outside he plays his xbox 360 constantly. I am always on him to go out and play or even come out with me whenever I have the dogs outside but he will not. Maybe I can try some of these suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

20. Jessica Fortner says:

As you said being a good role model with an active lifestyle is the very best way to get your kids active. If we as parents are couch potatoes just sitting around eating junk food and watching tv, how can we expect our kids not to be? It’s great to find new ways to get out and enjoy the weather together as a fam and a great mood booster too! =)

21. Ashia Austin says:

I grew up playing outside everyday. I hope kids get the same experience!

22. Kara Marks says:

These are great tips–one of my kids was naturally active, but my other was more sedentary and needed encouragement to be more active.

23. Rachael says:

Being an active role-model is SOOO important! Thanks for highlighting this

24. Sometimes I bring my daughter at the gym where I do my workout and exercise. She is imitating my stretching and exercise. She really knows how importance it is to have a fit and healthy body.

25. Michelle S says:

All I have to do is turn on music and my little one boogies ๐Ÿ™‚

26. crystal lane says:

Thank you for this great post.Me and my kids are gonna do so much more together this year as soon as the weather breaks.I am so tired of being overweight.And now I see it trickling down to my kids.Gotta do something.

27. sam dock says:

I found some Disney music cds from way back when and my son LOVES when I play those and we dance around the living room together ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Leah Lucas says:

Keeping kids active in this day in age is difficult! With the technology out there it keeps kids inside! When I was a kid we were never inside! Its important to get kids involved in activities that they will enjoy and keep them active

29. Daraya says:

Thanks for sharing! These are some great tips – I’ll have to try them!

30. Donna Martin says:

Use technology. Kids love gadgets and tracking things. Give them a pedometer that measures how many steps they take, or make it an in-house competition to see who can clock the most.

31. Sarah Elyce says:

I think it is very important to encourage children to be more active due to the sedentary lifestyle that is being adopted lately.