Health Personal Health Random Thoughts Tips and How To's

Reduce Depression and Live a Happy Life

Depression is a disease that cripples a lot of people all over the world. Sometimes, it can debilitate a person to the point that it kills him. Yes, that’s true, it can cause death when left unattended and uncured.

For most of us maybe, it’s just a simple state of sadness that we can overcome as days or a few months pass by. But, when it’s been years already and the depression poses a threat, it will be hard to break more so if one will not seek professional help.

photo Depression_zps3d4fb441.jpg

I have suffered from mild downheartedness when I was young, mainly because I had a hard time fitting in and getting my act together in school. It’s not that nobody likes me or no one cares, I guess all those despair slowly crept inside me when my grandpa died. It may be a natural thing because you lost someone but, I was in total misery for months and I allowed depression to consume me.

It went on for awhile but eventually, something shook my nuts and I woke up from the deep slumber. It was the thought of losing more loved ones and never able to show them my love while they are still living. It was that one whisper, shallow but very distinct, that made me come back to reality and continue to actually live my life.

That timely awakening prompted me to do other things than stay sulking in one corner and be mesmerized deeper by depression.

I wanna share these tips with you, so read on below:

• Let your family and friends into your life. They can help you move on and be whole again.
  • If a therapist is needed, don’t hesitate. Otherwise, if you are bent on finances, you have loved ones ready to listen and be a shoulder to cry on.
  • Speaking of crying – it’s always a great idea to let it all out. This will help release your deepest sorrows and pour out those deep-seated anger
  • Take a vacation with friends but not somewhere that could trigger melancholy, like places you used to visit with a dearly departed.
  • Go on a routine exercise plan. Yes, it can help because you are releasing hormones that fight depression.
  • Sit back, relax and listen to calming music. Those type that are used for meditation can soothe your weary soul. But, there are other people who does it better with fast and lively music, so do whatever can help you achieve your goal
  • Severe your ties with negativity. This goes the same with people who don’t know how to even smile. If you live with them, you can either help them see what they have become or just don’t mingle and stay when negative attitudes are up and sailing in the air. You need to always have a positive outlook, overall aura and attitude.
  • Take on some new hobbies or continue with old ones that make you happy. This is the time to accomplish those dreams that you thought you’ll never have time to do. If you’ve been dreaming on being a drummer in a friend’s group band, might be the time to start honing that skill or buy a new remo practice pad at guitar center
  • List down all the things that make you feel low-spirited or you think that would cause a break in your self-control. Paste it in your room or even the refrigerator, so you’ll always be reminded not to fail and be sucked again.

The above are just some of the things I honestly did during my time of depression. But as I’ve said, when things go rough and you feel that you can’t handle it alone, go seek professional help. You need to know and fully understand the cause and the cure to be able to live a happy and healthy life.

Hits: 640

You may also like...

39 Comments

1. amanda roach says:

great tips..i deal with this daily.

2. Maria Iemma says:

I was diagnosed as depressed after my husband passed away. It is so difficult to live day by day when you are feeling down and nothing interests you. With the help of my family and doctors I feel better now but it was rough going.

3. Aubrey says:

Thank you for the tips, it’s hard to deal with depression

4. margaret peg m says:

i have suffered from depression for as long as i can remember and i’ve been on medication for about 15 years…one thing that also helps me is posting ‘positive’ messages everywhere i can. fridge, desk, bathroom mirror, door handles, etc. – “you are beYOUtiful”, “don’t give up”, “you’ve got this”…stuff like that. thanks for the great post!

5. Chrystal D says:

Thanks for the tips. They’ll help me with my depression I think!

6. Molly Hearn says:

I totally agree with what you said.. I have learned that trying to see the positive in a bad situation can help as well.. That and I always remember now matter how bad I think I have it there is someone out there in a worse position who needs help. I help anyone and everyone I can.

7. MADDIE K says:

I think my husband suffers from seasonal affectiveness disorder.

8. Elle Briarson says:

Depression is sadly so common now. Thanks for this post!

9. VisKat says:

I’ve suffered from depression for many, many years. I saw 2 different professionals which really didn’t help. I really went downhill when my dad passed in 1993. My mom passed in 2006 and my sisters and brother have all passed since then. I talk to my friends about it but it gets tiresome after awhile. I’m glad you were able to recover and maybe someday I will too.

10. md kennedy says:

As someone who has suffered from clinical depression most of my life (starting as early as 10 as far as we can tell) I would also advise everyone to remember that depression is a disease – like having diabetes. And it is treatable, and not something to be embarassed about!

11. I agree and why be embarrassed? If you need help, muster every ounce of courage and ask your family to help you get well.

12. Karen Evans says:

I have diagnosed as having major depression/Anxiety with psychoisis (sp??)for the past 30 years now. I have tried everything just to get a handle on it…hospitals, therapists, drugs, the whole lot. I can sometimes keep it under control, but most days I hate getting out of bed and lately within the past year I find it so hard to leave my apt. (Hence, the computer)

13. Georgia Beckman says:

Depression or TALKING ABOUT depression still seems to be such a taboo subject. I suffer from severe bouts myself. The longest lasting one was rather recently & lasted almost 5 years. During that entire time frame, I was only sleeping 45-90 minutes a night. I took several naps during the day just to “escape” reality. I couldn’t wait for 8 or 9 pm to get here so I could go to bed & shut the world off. It is a very precarious situation to be in. If you talk about it, you’re labeled & whispered about as someone who has “mental health” issues, which somehow make you a freak, rather than a person with an illness. Mine is from a long line of chemical imbalance in our family. All 4 of my children deal with it too. Both of my sisters. My mother. As for me, I will keep talking to anyone who will listen. I don’t bombard people with it, but if the subject comes up I share my thoughts, feelings & experiences.

14. I too, suffer from major depression. I have done everything to try to help it. I stayed in my house for months and only went out if someone took me. I knew I needed to help myself and thought I should give something back, so I started volunteering at a store for the needy. I feel useful there and that helps me. Thank you Vicki

15. Dona Keyton/Dona4KY says:

I totally agree. It is harder to admit there is a problem then facing it head on. I am usually the one that family comes to, because they know that what they confide in me, stays with me. Knowing that there is Trust is important to anyone, when they are ready to open up.

16. Depression hurts and it’s really hard to see it coming but when you finally understand and talk to you doctor it all starts slowly getting better.I went through this with my daughter and thankfully she is well today.

17. Colleen Schilinski says:

I am dealing with depression right now. I just moved to Florida from Michigan, and miss my family & friends so much. Thanks for writing this, it helps.

18. annie page says:

Well i certainly understand depression as my daughter and I are going through a lot right now my daughter was murdered in aug my grand son was pistoled wipped in july and his son my great grandson dies at 13 months of unknown cases and we lost there father a few tears before this and my 84 year old mother broke her hip it has been hard and taking anti depressions and going to therapy has helped, but to say look on the bright side my daughter nor I can see one except the man who did all this was caught and is still waiting trail. when I see my 5 grand kids that they mother was killed and I see the sadness in there eyes like might I can say at least they didn’t died that day too.

19. Molly Hearn says:

I too have suffered from depression most my life.. sometimes it’s good therapists and unfortunately sometimes it’s getting on the right medications. I think most important is having loved ones and at least a friend or two that you can be yourself with and let it all out. Now a days I try to always see the positive like someone else said and remember it may seem like end of the world to me but someone else out there is going thru worse and is functioning more than myself.. suck it up and drive on.. and here I am today. I am glad you found what helped you.

20. Nena Sinclair says:

This is something my son battles with on a daily basis. I’m going to pass this onto him because I have a difficult time getting him to listen to what I have to say regarding depression. Thanks for the great article!

21. carla bonesteel says:

I’ve been struggling with this for a long time…I find myself not wanting to get out of bed, or crying over every little thing. I have discovered that MEDS work good for me, personally.

22. jules p says:

this is a great story. depression affects so many people. and they need our help

23. Hi Annie…. This is truly a sad new. Hang in there and I hope things will be better for your family soon…

24. Wow Vicki! Thanks for that tip. Sure volunteering can help because you will be around lots of people and at least lessen the depression.

25. I have a nephew who is also suffering from chemical imbalance. But, the truth is, aside from the meds he’s taking, talking about his depression to his family and friends helped him get through it.
    Don’t mind people who doesn’t know any better. What matters most is that it somehow cures the sickness by releasing it via discussion.. Kudos to you, Georgia for having that courage to talk about it to others!

26. Hey Karen, a doctor friend once told me that sometimes hormone levels can affect anxiety and severe ones can lead to psychosis. BUT, don’t stop looking for cures. I feel for you …

27. Stay strong, Maria!

28. Hey… I really dunno what to say with most of your family gone. Please stay strong and find something that can motivate you to live thru the day and be happy when tomorrow comes.
    I pray that someday will be soon so you can finally recover from all these tragedies.. May God Bless you 🙂

29. I like that idea! I’m gonna do it too! That’s something we all need, positive thinking so that we can traverse this so called life in a good disposition. Thanks Margaret!

30. KatVis says:

I’ve suffered from depression and panic disorder for many years. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia. There are sooo many days when it’s a chore just to get out of bed and get a cup of coffee. I’ve tried many anti-depressants and therapy to no avail. So many people tell me “You could be happy if you wanted to” it’s not as easy as that. I think mine is a chemical imbalance and always has been since I was young.

31. Elle Briarson says:

Depression runs in my family, so I’m aware of the heartbreaking struggle, ups & downs. Thanks for this post!

32. Depression runs in my family too and I’ve witnessed how it has consumed my dad and sister. My dad has recently started to meditate with the help of meditation audios and I can see that it works for him.

Thanks for this very helpful post.

33. laurie damrose says:

I like to take daily morning walks.I also make a to do list and stick with it to keep busy.

34. Wow a lot of people can relate to this. I’ve had depression for years, also. And my kids and my sister and mother. It’s so wide-spread. Why are so many people having to deal with it? We’re all on meds and they do help. But one of my kids is really having a hard time. Thanks for writing about this. I’m glad you are feeling better!

35. Clare says:

this post remind me of my friend..to reduce her depression she once tried to kill herself by drinking bleach..

36. Maria Iemma says:

When my husband passed away I was very depressed and scared…as the two year mark has come and gone I am feeling a little better about life in general

37. Sandy C. says:

I have been depressed for so long now, today with anxiety – I see a shrink, and take my meds as prescribed, but it doesn’t help. When I wake up in the morning, all I can do is look forward to going back to sleep. I realize that I am far from being the only one who is dealing with this – but it’s cold comfort.

38. Depression is something I fight daily. My mother is bi-polar so I know first hand how much this effects families. Some days are better than others but you have to put on foot in front of the other.

39. M.Clark says:

This is a great list of things to help people suffering from depression.