Is your computer running oh so slow that you have to wait sometime before you can actually start doing work? Mine is starting to be like that and it’s really slowing me down when I need to finish something.
If you haven’t done any maintenance since you bought that computer, then it’s high time to clean it up! You don’t want a sluggish computer more so if you keep on restarting it and do it again some more just after a few minutes of rebooting it.
So, what will you do?
Here are some easy instructions on how to clean hard drive so your computer can perform at it’s fullest potential.
For Windows XP:
1. Open your Internet Explorer
2. Click Tools on the top right corner. It looks like a gear icon.
3. Then look for Internet Options and click it
4. Look for Temporary Internet Files. and click the Delete Files button.
5. Click the box Delete offline content too, then OK.
6. Once that is done, click the Delete Cookies button within the Temporary Internet Files section. Click OK there too.
7. Next click the Settings button. Check for newer versions of stored pages should be clicked to automatically if it isn’t already.
8. Change the Amount of Disk Space to use to 8MB. Click OK twice.
9. Next go to the Start button in the very lower left corner of your screen. Click My Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Check Disk Clean up.
10. Use offline content or anything else it asks. It will take a few moments while it is checking how much space it can clean up. When you get the new pop-up window, make sure there are checks in every box. Click OK
11. After running Disk Clean up, go to Ad-Aware, update and run the program. If you don’t have Ad-Aware SE Personal, it’s a free very comprehensive spyware removal tool and it’s remarkably simple to use. You can download it through Lavasoft. After running Ad-Aware, reboot your computer.
For Windows 7:
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Select the files that you need to delete.
- Perform Disk Defragmentation. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
Clean up should be done at least once a week. Disk Defragmentation should also be done at least once a month. If you regularly do the steps above, you can ensure that your computer will run smoothly and faster too!