Fire is something that makes me cringe even just the thought of it. I experienced it first hand and almost had a nervous breakdown. Unfortunately, we lost most of our valuable and priceless possessions and the worst thing was, our house was not insured including the contents. That happened when I was living in Makati two decades ago.
Fire incidences significantly increased in 2018 and millions of properties lost including lives. It is such an unfortunate happening. I used to hear my elders saying – “it’s better to get robbed than lose your house on fire”. Worst is, you lost it all on fire and you have nothing to start your life anew. Fire prevention info is of utmost importance and it is the duty of the parents to also teach their children.
“Big or small, homes should be covered by fire insurance. To see your property go up in smoke can be a traumatic experience, so it is best to be on guard for emergencies all the time,” says Geraldine Desiderio-Garcia, senior vice president and general manager of Country Bankers Insurance Group (CBIG).
Responding to the need for home security, Country Bankers Insurance Corporation (CBIC), a subsidiary of CBIG, has come up with low-cost insurance products that cover a wide array of non-life insurance including motor vehicle and fire.
CBIC’s fire insurance provides options that fit different lifestyles – from fire and lightning (buildings and/or contents), as well as several situations such as during earthquakes, typhoons and floods. Optional supplementary covers may also be availed from clearing of debris, and firefighting expenses, to household employee belongings.
“Insurance has become dynamic because we only want to provide homeowners security and protection, to give them peace of mind during times of distress,” Garcia explains.
CBIC supports the BFP’s campaign to prevent fire incidences if not dramatically reduce damage and casualty. Here are some fire prevention tips for homeowners to keep in mind:
- Do not use extension cords as permanent outlets; do not loop them around sharp objects that may cause cords to fray open.
- Make sure curtains are away from electric fan blades.
- Do not leave an electric fan switched on when it is no longer rotating; regularly clean and oil household electric fans.
- Do not delay fixing defective appliances.
- Unplug rice cookers and clothes irons promptly after use.
- Place candles in holders or a basin partly filled with water.
- Put out candles before going to bed.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- Matches and lighters should be kept out of reach of children.
- Stoves must be clean and grease-free; check LPG for leaks with soapy water.
- Do not douse a burning frying pan with water, but instead cover it with a lid or a damp cloth.
- Unplug all idle electrical appliances.
- Avoid overloading outlets and using worn-out cords.
- Do not store items on the stove top.
- Keep flammable liquids and other combustible items away from the stove when cooking.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries every six months.
For inquiries on life and nonlife insurance products, visit Country Bankers Centre at 648 T.M. Kalaw Avenue, Ermita, Manila or call 523-8611 for life and 524-0621 for nonlife.
For updates, check Country Bankers Insurance Group on Facebook.